- Website Copywriting Strategy For the Intuitive Unicorn People
If you’re one of those unicorn people (like quite a few of my lovely clients); if the stuff you do is more intuitive than intellectual; if people have to experience what you do on a visceral level in order to “get it”… listen up.
No website or marketing copy can do a better job than you interacting with your potential clients so they can experience the magic.
I love words and I truly believe in its power. But I’m also a yogi, runner, and cyclist. I know there are just things you have to “get it”, feel it, and experience it in the body… instead of intellectualizing it.
If you refuse to launch until you have the “perfect” website copy to communicate every single aspect of what you really do, you’ll likely be stuck forever.
Here’s the deal. Your website copy doesn’t need to be perfect… it doesn’t have to express every facet of your magic.
What you need is an aligned intention so you can put the right energy behind your words. I’ve read (or more like, study and dissect) enough sales page to realize that when I’m looking to work with or buy from someone, I don’t read the words on the page anymore.
I feel the energy. Within less than a minute, I know if that product or service is right for me. More often than not, people get too hung up on the superficial expression of words and forget about how they are weaved together to communicate a big picture of who you are.
Don’t ask your website to do all the heavy lifting. Instead, just a couple of things:
(1) Tell visitors enough about you so they’ll trust you. Be honest. Create emotional connection and resonance to make them feel comfortable around you. Tell your story in a meaningful way. Express your values, convictions, and unique perspective. Show your true colors. Get the right people in the door.
(2) Tell visitors enough about what you do and how you solve their problems in a way that their left brain can understand. Enough so they’ll contact you to inquire about the next step. Enough to get them to interact with you in person so you can deliver your magic.
That’s it! Be honest, stand for something, show some guts. Get them to talk to you.
The good news is, you don’t need anything fancy to do that.
It boils down to a very simple website structure: a homepage (that tells visitors what action you want them to take within 8 seconds — that’s our average Internet attention span, just 1 second shorter than that of a goldfish,) an about page, and a work with me page. Then you add a contact page and maybe a blog. KISS.
When you get these three pages right, you have a solid foundation for all your content and communications.
If working your magic 1:1 is how you get the best conversion in selling some $X,000 package, why would you spend time, energy, and money on convoluted bells and whistles peddling $7 “trip wire?”
The right question to ask is — what’s the shortest path to getting people to trust me and resonate with me enough to have a conversation with me, experience the connection, and get a taste of the transformation?
Your website’s job is to take people down that path. The rest is just distraction (at least until you get your cashflow & reputation solid and have clarity about your body of work. Then you scale — even then, it’s optional.)
I know, sometimes it’s easier said than done. Let me write the damn thing for you.
Ling Wong :: Intuitive Brainiac | Creativity Mentor | Copywriting Alchemist. Author of Copywriting Alchemy: Secrets to Turning a Powerful Personal Brand Into Content that Sells.
Through her unique blend of marketing coaching, Content Experience Design and copywriting process, she helps the maverick-preneurs uncover, articulate & transform their WHY into content that connects, resonates and converts — by way of an intuitive yet rigorous iterative process born out of her Harvard Design School training and 15 years experience in the online marketing industry.
Ling is Inbound Marketing, Content Marketing, and Email Marketing certified. Through her writing engagements with various SaaS and marketing companies with the goals of driving organic traffic, building readership and increasing conversion, she’s well-versed in topics including online marketing, content marketing, eCommerce, conversion, UX, social media marketing, and more.
She helps coaches, consultants, service professionals, solopreneurs and small businesses apply these best practices to their specific business models and circumstances.
Ling is an avid cyclist with OCD (obsessive climbing disorder,) runner and chocoholic.
Join her upcoming Content Marketing in Plain English webinar series here.
This article was first published on business-soulwork.com
- The Power of Vulnerability | Brene Brown | TED Talks
- Why Your Critics Aren’t The Ones Who Count – Brené Brown
- Personal Development – Living An Exceptional Life – Jim Rohn
- You’re More Creative Than You Think – Sue Morter
- If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place – Wayne Dyer
- The Surprising Truth About Moving Others – Dan Pink
- Glorious Women Never Age! – PBS – Dr. Christiane Northrup
- Why We Do What We Do | Tony Robbins | TED Talks