Don’t be misled by the dangers of carbohydrates. They provide the body with fuel it needs for proper organ function. They are an important part of a healthy diet and some carbohydrates are far better than others.
The best source of carbohydrates is whole grains (the less processed, the better). You can add vegetables, fruits and beans, to your diet. They will promote good health and deliver vitamins, minerals, fiber, and a host of other important nutrients. Normally we tend to eat the refined carbohydrates such as white bread, white rice, pastries, sodas and other highly processed foods. These will contribute to weight gain, interfere with weight loss, and promote diabetes and heart disease.
Here are some ideas for adding good carbs to your diet:
- Start the day with whole grains. Try a hot cereal, like steel cut oats, or a cold cereal that lists a whole grain first on the ingredient list.
- Use whole grain breads for lunch or snacks. Look for bread that lists as the first ingredient whole wheat, whole rye, or some other whole grain.
- Bag the potatoes. Instead, try brown rice, bulgur, wheat berries, whole wheat pasta, or another whole grain with your dinner.
- Choose whole fruit instead of juice. An orange has two times as much fiber and half as much sugar as a 12-ounce glass of orange juice
- Bring on the beans. Beans are an excellent source of slowly digested carbohydrates as well as a great source of protein.
Are you a busy mom or busy professional opting for choices that are not the healthiest for you or your family? You can now sit down for dinner and have nourishing home cooked meals fully prepared in your home without the high calories and high sodium content. Every meal is stored in the fridge and awaits you. No more worries, no more stress on what am I going to have for dinner? Debbie’s Mobile Kitchen can help. Visit me @ http://debbiesmobilekitchen.wordpress.com orhttp://www.facebook.com/pages/Debbies-Mobile-Kitchen/132393246796408